The weather is finally turning the corner and becoming more Spring-like. Discussions about what we will plant in our gardens this year are heating up. This feels like the perfect time to introduce you to Flower Pose and a playful Flower Meditation.
Benefits of Flower Pose
- Develops core muscles
- Opens hips
- Increases balance & coordination
- Boosts energy
How to do Flower Pose
- Start in seated butterfly pose with the soles of your feet together.
- Weave your arms under your legs, keeping the palms of your hands up.
- Inhale, firm up your belly, and lift your legs off the ground.
- Lift your chest and squeeze your shoulder blades together.
- Find a comfortable place to sit. Outdoors would be preferred, but anywhere will work.
- Sit tall with your hands resting on your knees or in your lap.
- Take three big, deep belly breaths, inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your nose. These are your establishing breaths.
- Gently close your eyes and begin to picture yourself sitting in a field of flowers.
- Breathe softly, inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your nose.
- What do you see in your mind's eye? What color or colors are the flowers?
- How many flowers do you see?
- Are they all the same or different?
- Now, what do you feel?
- Is there a breeze? Does it feel warm or cool?
- Is the ground you are sitting on soft like grass or hard, like sitting on a rock?
- Can you reach out and touch the flowers? Are the petals soft or prickly?
- Is the sun shining? Do you feel the warmth of the sunlight?
- Are the flowers fragrant? Is the smell sweet, soft, or strong?
- Finally, what do you hear?
- Are there birds chirping? Is there a dog barking?
- Now start to bring your thoughts back to your body. Focus on three more deep breaths, then slowly open your eyes.
I hope you enjoy sharing these activities with your family! Please remember our golden rule: Always allow the kids the freedom to make these exercises their own.
Join our mailing list to receive an illustrated PDF for this Flower Meditation. If you are already on the mailing list, you will be receiving the PDF in the May email.
Peace & Play