Earlier this month, I represented Backyard Yoga for the first time at a public event: our community's Butterfly Festival. While I typically steer clear of participating in festivals of any kind, I was not willing to pass this one up. Butterfly Festival is a local event put on by Family Services, a local non-profit whose mission is to "Help Families Fly". How could I not get involved?
To fit in with the festival's theme, I created the Metamorphosis of a Butterfly flow; now I'd like to share it with all of you!
The Butterfly Flow
- Find your "leaf" and tuck into an egg (child's pose).
- Take some deep breaths as you feel the warmth of the sun on your back.
- Start to wiggle around and POP out of your egg, reaching up to the sky.
- Stretch your back up high (down dog), ready to look for something yummy to eat.
- Drop your belly low (up dog) and begin to crawl like a caterpillar.
- Repeat a few times, sending your back up high and then dropping your belly down low.
- What did you find to eat?
- With your belly full, walk your feet forward and start to tuck into your coccoon.
- Pull your feet together and squeeze your legs together, hugging your knees and tucking your head.
- Take a few deep breaths and feel the warm sun on your back.
- Slowly start to wiggle and reach out of your coccoon.
- Sit back and let your wings (knees) fall open.
- Flap your wings a few times. How do they feel?
- What color is your butterfly?
Enjoy sharing this practice with the kiddos in your life!
Peace + Play